Wednesday, April 20, 2011

12 hours of Art


Most of my life I've created things. Children are always creating objects from bits and pieces they find on the floor, in the corners of their bedroom and in the cracks of the old wooden floor boards. Well, to say the least I never stopped creating, making things, objects, illusions in paintings, fiber balls from leftover strips of fabric. My husband William Jamieson is the same, well at least he understands why I must create most of the time. William is an artist too, a ceramic sculptor, he has his Masters in Ceramics and thrives on making objects just as much as I do. He just doesn't need to make them from everything such as; dryer lint, plastic bags, pieces of thread, to name a few.
Our children make and create too--sometimes together like in these beautiful pictures Michelle Spitz snapped (my new favorite artistic photographer) http://www.2pedalsphotography.com/ . She captured the intrinsic nature and indispensable quality of our life.
I love how Elizabeth is looking so intently at something as she gently holds her exacto knife between her fingers like she would hold her pencil.
Now her creative execution.

She's my muse, I want to be like her... to allow the creative spirit to catalyze a vision for myself. I love that, She can be anything, do anything, create anything. The days of tangible problem-solving are so rare.

My little William (two years old) wants to participate in creating and making messes too. Scratching the clay or squishing it between his fingers. Mostly he builds with his blocks and legos , he creates art with his toys by combining our materials with his, stacking the sofa cushions and using the sofa's new flat surface for a ground that his cars and trucks can drive on. Although, frustrating at times--because things can get untidy around the house, it's a freedom children need, for them to be inventors. Art is not always so formal, especially with children and that's what I want to grasp onto forever.
A great Artist once said,
Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. ~Pablo Picasso

William and I used to make art together everyday, less than we do now. It's been more about laundry and dishes, or supper than critiques and late nights with loud music and uninterrupted studio time. Do you remember staying up so late generating ideas-and turning them into something visual and while in that euphoric moment you loose the meaning of time? Well, I sometimes stumble upon it at times and well...


Our life is different that most people we know, but we like it that way.
We live in a the big Arthouse
where art lives and grows.

No comments: